Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Six Kids, Six Schools

Today, I have six children in six different school systems. One in primary school, one in elementary school, one in middle school, one in high school, one in community college, and one in University. How am I ever to keep up with it all? I stand outside my life, looking in, and think, "Is she insane?" She laughs a lot, that has to be good....

What I really know is this....money could give me big houses and fast cars, beautiful dresses, and diamond rings. Fame could give me a name in lights and millions of adoring fans. I could have gone to school and gotten a degree, had a career as a high-flying executive. I could have raised horses, joined the peace corp, or run away to live in the East. Instead, I settled home, found a man I loved to share my life, and began having children. Six of them, 3 boys, and 3 girls. I am so proud, I can hardly see straight and I love them so much, it makes me cry. They are the work and art of my life. I can't imagine any existence more rewarding or full of greater joy. With tiny toes, and smacking lips, with late night cries, and teen-aged arguments, they have given me the thing I value most--the chance to be something truly wonderful...a mother. There is no love like that I feel when merely looking at their faces.

I love you, kids. Thank you for coming into my life and letting me be your Mom.

And if you think I'm going to be able to make it to all of your conferences....well...I'm not saying I won't try.

Cheers to all you Mom's out there!
Love,
La

2 comments:

my little said...

Right before the crying line, my throat tensed and my eyes started to tear a little. Sampath was talking about how much he loved little toes last night.
Your life sounds perfect.

lakshmi said...

Little toes, eh?

My life is perfect because life, in all it's aching complexities, with pain and joy lived side by side, with loving and losing being equal parts of the same, life is still a beautiful miracle and I am grateful for every day.