Friday, April 10, 2009

Spring Haiku

I'm in a writing group with all these amazing, talented writers. It's intimidating. But, as my husband the Soccer Coach would say, "You don't improve your skills on the pitch when you're the best player in the game."

Apparently, in Soccer (and in writing) we learn the most when dumped into a situation where we are surrounded by people strong, faster, more talented, and better at doing whatever it is we love. I think I'm in the right place.

April is National Poetry Month. In honor of this wonderful written expression, me and my fellow group-mates have been writing Haiku, one a day for the entire month. Prior to April 1, I didn't know much about Haiku. I still don't know much, but I'm learning. It's been ten days. Here are a few of my favorite Haiku. They're short and sweet, abbreviated and vast. I love them.

Spring Haiku

#1
pattering rain-drops
staccato out my window
the heart-beat of Spring

#2
lady daffodil
curtsying in the garden
nods me good morning

#3
wind drops from blue sky
skips over the emerald fields
and turns them silver

#4
rain left the world fresh
black earth gives up sunshine scent
from each new flower

#5
impossible light
cascading through my window
lures me to play

#6
low, dark mountains rest
young hills frolic at their feet
learning to be wise

#7
what is that color
blended burgundy and gold
my shade of longing

#8
cherry tree blossoms
a hundred dainty fairies
flashing petticoats

#9
adolescent trees
stretch in sap-filled eagerness
reaching for the light

#10
wistful clouds adrift
pause in the powder blue sky
to watch the horses

3 comments:

Prakash said...

Lovely!
Keep it up.

Rev. Baghavan Metro said...

I wish I could write/Haiku like you do Lakshmi/My True Heart would soar

lakshmi said...

Thanks, Prakash. <3

Dad--your's is great! Mom told me you have been writing Haiku. You should post them here--I would love it.

See you over the weekend!
<3
La